De Waag. Part of the wall and balance of New Amsterdam Market
De Waag was part of the medieval walls surrounding the old Amsterdam and it was one of the gates of the
city. An old plaque commemorates the date of commencement of construction, April 28, 1488. In the sixteenth
century, after the demolition of the walls, they installed in the surrounding area a place for the New
Market, and the old gate was fitted using the resulting building as a public balance.